Rotini With Spicy Red Pepper and Almond Sauce
Spicy and crunchy pair together nicely to create this dish’s unique sauce
PREP TIME :
- 8 oz whole-wheat rotini (spiral) pasta
- ½ C whole natural almonds, unsalted
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers
- 1 Tbsp garlic, roughly chopped (about 2–3 cloves)
- ⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried basil or parsley
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, toast almonds in a toaster oven or regular oven at 350 °F until lightly toasted, about 5–8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, add roasted red peppers and liquid, garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth, 1–2 minutes.
- Add cooled almonds to the sauce in the processor. Pulse until the almonds are chunky.
- After draining the pasta, return to pot. Add almond sauce. Toss until pasta is well coated.
- Divide into four equal portions (about 2 cups each).
- Tip: Try adding chicken or seafood—or, for a vegetarian meal, just add cooked lima beans or edamame (green soybeans).
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 322, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 383 mg, Total fiber 9 g, Protein 12 g, Carbohydrates 49 g, Potassium 47 mg.