Turkey Stuffed Cabbage
A healthy take on an old favorite—using half turkey and half beef makes for lower
fat and lower sodium.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 45 MINS
- 1 head cabbage
- ½ lb 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 slice stale whole- wheat bread crumbled
- 1¼ C water, divided
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (16 oz) no-salt- added diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Rinse and core the cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place them in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper towels.
- Shred ½ cup of the raw cabbage, and set aside.
- Brown ground turkey, ground beef, and minced onion in a skillet. Drain off the fat.
- Combine meat mixture, bread crumbs, ¼ cup water, and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Drain the tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add ½ cup of the liquid to the meat mixture (set aside the tomatoes). Mix well.
- To assemble cabbage rolls: Place ¼ cup filling near the edge of each cooked cabbage leaf. Roll up the leaf, tucking in the sides to keep the filling inside. Place folded side down in a large skillet; arrange cabbage rolls side-by-side.
- On top of the assembled cabbage rolls, add tomatoes, sliced onion, 1 cup water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove the cabbage rolls to a serving platter, and keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Add to the vegetables and liquid in the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 257, Total fat 9 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 54 mg, Sodium 266 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.